Powhatan County Public Schools
Job Title: Accounts Payable Specialist
FLSA Status: Exempt Employment Status: Classified
License Required: No
Reports to: Assistant Superintendent for Finance and Business Operations
Acts as general accountant for all revenue and expenditure accounts. Oversees the payables operation. Responsible for revenue postings.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following.
- Responsible for payment processing, vendor research and direct pays in accordance with accounting procedures.
- Liaison for vendors, schools and other division departments.
- Prepare financial reports via School Division’s Computer system to include monthly expenditure reports for the School Board.
- Assist with balancing school payables with the County Treasurer and County Finance Department.
- Works with external auditors for audit of accounts.
- Review monthly vendor statements for payment accountability.
- Enter purchase orders from the division in the computer for accountability of orders placed.
- Fill out tax exempt forms and establish credit accounts as needed.
- Insure compliance with Federal, State, and Local laws, policies and regulations.
- Posts revenues to the school division’s finance system and deposits revenues.
- Attend conferences and training sessions to stay current with changing laws and good accounting practices.
- Research invoice discrepancies with vendors and division personnel.
- Issue 1099 reports for year-end tax reporting.
- Arrange for repair of finance department machines.
- Purchase postage.
- Assist with answering employee questions regarding their pay or deductions.
- Perform any other duties that may be assigned by the Superintendent or designee.
Proficient knowledge of the division’s accounting and software system.
Demonstrates leadership qualities and personal characteristics necessary to work effectively
with all levels of division personnel and all levels of government.
Demonstrates good organizational skills, is detail oriented; able to multi-task; and to reconcile errors and make corrections as needed.
Ability to communicate effectively.
Education and/or Experience
High school diploma or equivalent.
Experience with payroll and accounts payable operations
Knowledge of the RDA software plus knowledge of fund accounting and internal auditing controls.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as business and government forms/reports,
operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of employees or public.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out complex oral and written instructions. Ability to deal with standardized situations and adjust to variables.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to walk; sit; and use hands to finger, handle, or feel. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. The work is subject to deadlines and frequent interruptions.
Performance on this job will be evaluated in accordance with school board policy and administrative regulations on evaluation of classified personnel.